Use Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
When your access any service protected by Multi-Factor Authentication (Login required) from off-campus (this will not apply when on campus):
- You may see a notification asking to Stay signed in? Only tick Yes this on devices or PCs that you don’t share with others.
- Using the device you have registered, authenticate using the method you chose when you setup Multi-Factor Authentication
- Tap on notification
- Enter one time verification code from app
- Enter verification code sent by text message
- You will be logged in and redirected to the service you requested to access
If you are visiting China you will need to use a one time verification code (6 digit number). Receive notification for verification will not work
Change Multi-Factor Authentication methods
If you have already setup Multi-Factor Authentication, go to mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info. You may wish to do this if you:
This will show your current Default sign-in method. Click on Change to update how you authenticate:
- Show your current Default sign-in method. Click on Change
- Choose Authenticator app. Click Add
Change your device
If you want to use a different device and have chosen to receive a text message verification code and are keeping the same number you won’t need to setup MFA again. Otherwise
- Setup MFA on the new device
- Go to mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info and click Delete next to the old phone
What if I cannot use my Device for Multi-Factor Authentication?
If you can’t use any of devices for Multi-Factor Authentication, Contact the IT Service Desk to reset it.
Remove device from Microsoft Authenticator app
Before removing a device, ensure you have set up a different way to authenticate using MFA, such as text message verification code.
- 📱 On your phone, open the Microsoft Authenticator app
- 📱Check to see if University of Leicester appears with your University email address below. If so, tap on the arrow > next to it.
- 📱Tap on settings (cog icon)
- 📱Tap on Remove account